Tuesday, March 5, 2024

March 5: "Twisting Time," Super Tuesday, Stupidity and Hatred

Billy Collins on getting older . . .

Twisting Time

by:  Billy Collins

I am twisting again
but not like I did last summer
or the summer before
or the summer before that.

I am twisting more slowly now
because it is cold
and I have grown heavy
and there is hardly any wind.



I'm sitting here on Super Tuesday, and I am twisting again.  Not because I'm feeling slower or have grown heavy.  And not because there is hardly any wind.

I am twisting again because I've just caught some of tonight's election returns, with Donald Trump winning every Republican primary.  I started watching Trump's speech from Mar-a-Lago and had to turn it off.  It literally made me physically ill.

My father was a life-long Republican.  I've voted Democrat in every presidential election since I turned 18 years old.  You could say that I come from a bi-partisan family.  Yet, I just can't comprehend what is going on in the United States these days.

Donald Trump is a criminal.  A liar.  A rapist.  A traitor.  He tried to overthrow the U. S government four years ago.  He's responsible for the deaths of tens of thousands of people because of his handling of the pandemic while he was in office.  He fosters hatred and violence every time he opens his mouth.

Yet he is going to be the Republican nominee for President of the United States again.  

What the fuck is wrong with people?  

If you aren't twisting uncomfortably at the thought of another Donald Trump presidency, do me a favor:  inject yourself with bleach (Trump's cure for COVID), and just stay home for then next nine or so months.

Because the United States (and the world) will not survive another four-year pandemic of Trump stupidity and hatred.  

Saint Marty is ashamed of his country tonight.



No comments:

Post a Comment