Sunday, June 17, 2018

June 17: Happy Father's Day, Holding on to Poem, "To My Father's Ashes"

Happy Father's Day.

It's been a quietly difficult day for me.  I've been writing for a good portion of it.  Stuff I've been meaning to do for a while.  Tonight, I'm going to relax.  Watch an episode of Better Call Saul on Netflix with my daughter and her boyfriend.

I do have a poem to share.  Something I wrote a while ago.  I've been holding onto it, unsure if I wanted to share it.

Saint Marty offers it tonight in honor of his father.

To My Father's Ashes

by:  Martin Achatz

Staring at your dust
in this black vase,
I wonder what of you
I possess.  The cinder
that was your hands. watered
tomato plants every summer
until they swelled into fists
of starfish.  Grains of your
crooked spine that kept
you from the missiles and grenades
of Pork Chop Hill and Pusan.
Or the pollen of your lips, tongue
that sipped Seven and Seven
all night until you didn’t remember
stoking the furnace with so much
wood that it roared, turned brick
red, almost reduced the house to char.
It could be the soot that was your testes,
scrotum, vesicles, the place
where the Y of me first swam
in white brine the night
you reached out, atlased
my mother’s body with yours.
Perhaps the ember of calf, shoulder.
Powder of ulna, incisor, humerus.
Or maybe it’s a part of you
I don’t know.  The finger
that traced the arc of a neighbor
girl’s breast under a haystack moon.
Your grey eyes, the ones the cried
for two days when your daughter
was born with an extra chromosome
swimming in the pools of her nuclei.
An eardrum that heard Louis Armstrong
coax “La Vie En Rose” from his trumpet
one August night at the Paradise
on Woodward when the Detroit River
was a black tendon of water.
Or a mole on your chest that your bride
kissed over and over on your wedding
night until it blossomed to the color
of lupin.


No comments:

Post a Comment