Monday, March 5, 2018

March 5: Poet of the Week, Maggie Nelson, Section 1 from "Bluets"

I found myself searching for Maggie Nelson's Bluets on my bookshelf this morning before I left for work.  For some reason, I feel drawn to this book today, possible this week. 

Of course, Bluets is about loss and the color of loss and recovering from loss.  That could have something to do with it.  I'm feeling a little blue, I guess.

Yes, I have featured sections of Bluets before in this blog.  There's really no rhyme or reason how I choose Poets of the Week.  Usually, it's instinctual, like riding a bike or eating chocolate.

Speaking of chocolate, Saint Marty is going to eat some blue M&Ms now in honor of Maggie Nelson.

Section 1 from Bluets

by:  Maggie Nelson

Suppose I were to begin by saying that I had fallen in love with a color.  Suppose I were to speak this as though it were a confession; suppose I shredded my napkin as we spoke.  It began slowly.  An appreciation, an affinity.  Then, one day, it became more serious.  Then (looking into an empty teacup, its bottom stained with thin brown excrement coiled into the shape of a sea horse) it became somehow personal.


No comments:

Post a Comment