Thursday, January 19, 2017

January 19: Meeting a god, Gwendolyn Brooks, "The Crazy Woman"

I once sat in a classroom with Gwendolyn Brooks.  She was in her eighties at the time, but still tall and beautiful.  From the beginning, she had us eating out of her hand.  For me, it was like being in the presence of a god.  I kept thinking to myself, "I am in the same space as Gwendolyn freakin' Brooks."  It was an amazing afternoon.

So, on the eve of a presidential inauguration at which no poet will read, Saint Marty gives you Gwendolyn Brooks--African American, poet, crazy woman, voice for the voiceless.

The Crazy Woman

by:  Gwendolyn Brooks

I shall not sing a May song.
A May song should be gay.
I'll wait until November
And sing a song of gray.

I'll wait until November
That is the time for me.
I'll go out in the frosty dark
And sing most terribly.

And all the little people
Will stare at me and say,
"That is the Crazy Woman
Who would not sing in May."


1 comment: