Thursday, October 22, 2015

October 22: All Souls' Day, the Hindenburg, Mary Oliver, "Three Things to Remember"

"Well," her son said cheerfully, "I'm going up to the Cloisters in a little bit to check out the choir.  They've got something going on with All Souls' Day, would you like to come with me?"

All Souls' Day is the day after All Saints' Day, which follows All Hallow's Eve. So, in translation, All Souls' Day is November 2; All Saints' Day, November 1; and All Hallow's Eve, October 31.  All Souls' Day celebrates family members who have died in the last year.  Robert, himself, will soon join the ranks of the lost souls.

This evening, I gave a poetry reading at my local library.  I billed it as a celebration of Halloween.  There was poetry and music (provided by a good friend).  I told ghost stories and read Emily Dickinson. We sang a little Paul Simon and Jim Morrison.  I think it was a good event.

I had spent many hours picking out poems.  Attended two music practices.  Spent a couple hours doing research.  Hung up posters.  Sent a mass e-mail to every member of the university's English Department.  I did everything I could to insure success.

If success is measured in attendance, then I just gave the Hindenburg of poetry readings.  However, if success is measured in audience engagement, then I am Robert Frost reincarnated.  The people who showed up were truly enthusiastic and wonderful.  That's what I'm going to remember about the reading.

Plus, I may have booked another reading for the Christmas season--a release party for the Christmas CDs I recorded last year with my band.  I suggested doing it as a fundraiser for a local charity and donating a percentage of the proceeds to the charity.  The librarian who organizes the reading series seemed very interested in the idea.

So, I'm building bridges, doing a little poetic song and dance.  Hopefully, making a little extra cash, as well.

Saint Marty is playing the game, making up the rules as he goes.

Three Things to Remember

by:  Mary Oliver

As long as you're dancing, you can
     break the rules.
Sometimes breaking the rules is just
    extending the rules.

Sometimes there are no rules.


Oh, the humanity!  Oh, the poetry!

No comments:

Post a Comment