Thursday, October 2, 2014

October 2: End of a Long Day, Ear Problem, Weekend

"Perhaps," she said wearily.  "But I feel like the end of a long day."  Clinging upside down to the ceiling, she settled down for a nap, leaving Wilbur very much worried.

Yes, Charlotte is tired at the end of the book.  She has spent most of her life trying to save Wilbur's life, and now she is feeling her age.  Slowing down.  Getting tired.  Her sunset is just around the corner, and it still breaks my heart to read this passage.


I pretty much feel like the end of a long day right now, too.  My ear is sore.  In fact, the whole right side of my face is throbbing.  I'm thinking I have some kind of sinus infection, but my nose isn't running or stuffed up.  I made a doctor's appointment for tomorrow afternoon.  By tomorrow night, I will probably be on some serious antibiotics.  At least, that's what I hope.  I want to feel like the beginning of a long day, not the end.

Saint Marty's Day is just around the corner.  I want to be better by Sunday.  I've never missed a Saint Marty's Day celebration.  The traditional tapioca pudding.  Presents.  Festive bratwurst.  The Saint Marty's Day carols.  And, most of all, the Macy's Saint Marty's Day Parade.

Right now, however, Saint Marty's head feels like a parade balloon.  Charlie Brown or Dolly Parton.

Last year's parade

No comments:

Post a Comment