Sunday, October 19, 2014

October 19: Nasty Weather, Classic Saint Marty, New Cartoon

Welcome to another dreary Sunday in the Upper Peninsula.  The weather has turned quite nasty.  Dark.  Windy.  Rainy.  Yesterday's wind and snow took care of most of the leaves in my maple tree.  My front sidewalk now looks like this:


Yes, there are black spots all over the leaves.  It's some kind of tree fungus, and it sort of ruins the beauty of this picture.  The tree isn't dying.  It just looks like it has smallpox or something.

It has been a fairly lazy day for me.  I haven't accomplished anything.  I have a revision of an essay that I have to get to an editor.  Didn't do it.  I have to create a lesson plan for tomorrow.  Didn't do it.  I have midterm exams to correct.  Didn't do it.  Basically, I cleaned, and then I slept.  I'm feeling quite rested, but I have a crapload of work to get done now.

So, you'll excuse me if I cut this post a little short.

Today's episode of Classic Saint Marty first aired three years ago.  It didn't get a whole lot of attention the first time 'round.  So I thought I'd give it a second shot.

October 19, 2011:  Sicker and Sicker, Positive Attitude, Friends

If it's possible, I feel sicker with my cold today than I did yesterday.  Sicker and sicker.  It's gotten to the point where people can tell I have some kind of bug by simply talking with me on the phone.  I sound like Harvey Fierstein.  I'm beat, but not beaten.

As you can tell by that last statement, I'm trying to maintain my positivity.  As grandma used to say, "Don't let the bastards get you down."  Okay, grandma didn't used to say that.  I wish she had.  Usually what grandma said was, "Where the hell are my teeth?"

On a more serious note, I'd like to enlist my disciples in a little positive thinking for a couple I know.  They're really great people and are currently expecting their first child.  Last Friday, they went to Green Bay for an amniocentesis.  Everything went well with the procedure, but when they got home, she started spotting blood.  They've had a really rough couple of days, and last night, I think I convinced them to go to the ER.  I don't know what the result of that visit was.  I'm waiting to hear from them.  But they are both very scared.  The husband looked like a cast member of The Walking Dead when I saw him.  They need hope.  Please, if you have a few seconds today, say a prayer for them.

Sometimes God reminds Saint Marty that his life, for all the crap that's going on, isn't really that bad.


Put me in a dress and call me Harvey

Confessions of Saint Marty


No comments:

Post a Comment