Monday, September 29, 2014

September 29: Writing Blog Posts, Meaning, "Web" Dip

Sometimes, when I sit down to blog, I find myself staring at a blank computer screen for a very long time.  It's as if every interesting or useful thought in my head has decided to go out for pizza.  What I'm left with are observations about the weather ("It's cold and rainy today") or my physical state ("I'm so tired I can barely depress the space bar on my keyboard") or work ("Tedious and tiring--see previous observation about my physical state").  Basically, what I'm trying to say is that I'm a dry writing well this evening.

I usually have a game plan when I sit down to write a blog post.  I kind of have an idea about my subject, and I kind of have a basic structure for what I'm going to say.  If I don't have these two elements in place, I tend to ramble aimlessly, and I hate that.  I don't like writing that doesn't have meaning and purpose.  Whether that purpose is to make people laugh, think, or get pissed off, I usually have a method to my insanity.

When I find myself without any compelling subject matter, I write about it. Thus, I am blogging about not having anything to write about tonight.  It's an interesting exercise.  Short story writer Flannery O'Connor would sit at her desk in front of her typewriter every day for three or four hours.  Sometimes she wrote five thousand words.  Sometimes she didn't write anything.  The point was to be at the desk, ready for the Misfit to appear on the page.  (Those of you familiar with Flannery will understand that reference.)

That is my job this dreary evening.  To write, even if it's not very good.  Because, when I sit down to write/post tomorrow, something decent may appear.  The start of an essay or short story.  A rough draft of a poem.  This I know for sure:  if I'm not at my desk, with pen and journal or laptop at the ready, I will miss the chance of shaking hands with my next writing project.  Flannery knew that, as well.

My Web dip question this evening is:

Will I write something tomorrow with purpose and meaning?  Something good?

And E. B. White's answer is:

"Oh, it's coming all right," [Charlotte] said, lightly.  "The plan is still in its early stages and hasn't completely shaped up yet, but I'm working on it."

Hmmmmm.  Even Charlotte has to sit in her web and wait for her plans to take shape.  She's got to put in the time, just like Flannery O'Connor.

And Saint Marty.

Flannery's desk

No comments:

Post a Comment