Sunday, August 11, 2024

August 11: "Evening Alone," Night Owl, Happy Place

I have very few moments during my days--morning, afternoon, or evening--when I am completely alone.  I think that's why I've always been a night owl.  After people go to bed, I get a few hours of solitude.

Sometimes I make good use of that solitude, reading or writing or revising or eating chocolate.  Other times, I allow my mind to rest.  I watch a movie I've seen dozens of times or a television program that requires little in the way of active attention.  I drift and wander lonely as a cloud.

That's what Billy Collin is doing in today's poem . . . 

Evening Alone

by: Billy Collins

Last of the strong sun
on white tiles, stack of white towels, 
faint piano melody from downstairs, 
and the downpour of hot water on my shoulders. 

I lift my face to the nozzle, close my eyes
and see mountains folded 
over mountains, smoke rising from a woodcutter’s hut,
 and in the distance, billowing pastel clouds. 

It must be China I am beholding 
on this early summer evening— 
the great sway of rivers, 
thousands of birds rising on the wing, 
the jade and mulberries of China, 
plum blossoms—now the cry of a pheasant. 

It is a vision that drains me of desire, 
and leaves me wanting nothing 
but to be here 
in this hot steamy room 
washing my neck, rubbing my sides, 

the soap slithering down the chest and stomach, 
eyes still shut, 
while in China, 
a light boat crosses a lake, 

and in a wooden house on the shore 
a young woman in a tight-fitting silk dress 
lifts a cup of cinnamon tea 
to her painted, slightly parted lips.



I'm not sure if Billy Collins is calling up a distant memory or completely imagining this scene.  But he is drifting and wandering in his mind to a place that gives him peace and pleasure.  It really doesn't matter whether it's real or not.

We all have happy places.  The Eiffel Tower.  Loch Ness.  Lake Superior.  A couch.  My happy place?  I'm kind of a homebody.  The only place where I really relax and set aside all my masks is at home.  I don't have to do anything but be myself.  That's a great gift.  I can be Marty the poet.  Marty the blogger.  Marty the Christmas fanatic.  Marty the Bigfoot guy.  Or I can just be Marty the guy who watches Portrait Artist of the Year fanatically, over and over.  

Saint Marty's favorite place tonight was his backyard, standing under the sun, noticing how leaves are already changing color.

No comments:

Post a Comment