Thursday, July 25, 2024

July 25: "The Order of the Day," Rituals, "Backyard"

Billy Collins' morning routine . . 

The Order of the Day

by: Billy Collins

A morning after a week of rain
and the sun shot down through the branches 
into the tall, bare windows.

The brindled cat rolled over on his back,
and I could hear you in the kitchen
grinding coffee beans into a powder.

Everything seemed especially vivid
because I knew we were all going to die,
first the cat, then you, then me,

then somewhat later the liquefied sun
was the order I was envisioning.
But then again, you never really know.

The cat had a fiercely healthy look,
his coat so bristling and electric
I wondered what you had been feeding him

and what you had been feeding me
as I turned a corner
and beheld you out there on the sunny deck

lost in exercise, running in place,
knees lifted high, skin glistening--
and that toothy, immortal-looking smile of yours.




We all have our morning routines like Collins.  Some people get out of bed and immediately light up (tobacco or cannabis).  Other people stumble to the coffee maker.  I usually take a shower, get dressed, and take my puppy out for a spin around the backyard.

Rituals are important in life.  They give our days and nights order and meaning.  I know that my daily/nightly rituals allow me to have a semblance of control over what is happening around and to me.  (This sense of control may be fictional, but it makes me feel less anxious about the possibility of having a stroke or being the victim of a violent crime or lapsing into major depression.)  Perhaps this affinity for ritual comes from my Catholic upbringing.  If there's one thing that Catholics do well, it's ritual--all the bells and smoke and chants.

I like to know, when I get out of bed, exactly what my day holds in store for me.  No nasty, unexpected surprises.  I have been the victim of exactly one surprise birthday party in my life, when I reached a certain milestone age.  It was lovely, filled with joy and gathering together so many people I love.  However, in my life, most of the surprises I've experienced have been less than pleasant.  So, my days are full of rituals to avoid undue misery.

Even when I sit down to write a blog post or draft of a poem or lyric essay, I depend on certain things--a nice fountain pen, a Moleskine journal, maybe a book by my current poetic obsession.  (If you haven't figured it out by now--it's Billy Collins this year.)  If my pen runs out of ink or I forget my journal, I have a very difficult time getting anything down on the page.  

So, if you see Saint Marty sitting in a restaurant or laundromat, surrounded by books, scribbling away, don't bother him.  He's in the middle of a ritual, giving meaning to his life.

A poem Saint Marty wrote a couple days ago . . .

Backyard

by: Martin Achatz

I write about my backyard
a lot, its lilac bushes and bees,
how dandelions overtake the grass
with shouts of yellow and gold.
I write about my dog a lot,
the brindled map of her back,
how she stands like a coiled
cobra when she spies a squirrel
tightrope walking a power line
above her, moving like a stone
skipped across a still lake.  And I write
about my son a lot, how he is one
of those construction sites
I drive by every day, noting 
the lack of visible progress until,
one morning, a new building
appears, its glass flashing 
with light.  Why do I write about
these three elements of my life
so much?  I don't know.  But,
when I'm done writing these 
words, I know I will make myself
a cup of coffee, stare out a window,
give thanks for the breath I just
took, and the next.  And next.

Photo courtesy of Abby Berry

1 comment:

  1. Wish I had known about this birthday party, as part of your family.

    ReplyDelete