Sunday, June 7, 2020

June 6-7: Miracle of New Poem, Vermeer, "That Girl with Pearl Earring, after Vermeer"

I have a poem for tonight.  It's new, something I wrote this past week, during a poetry workshop I led.

It's late now, and I have to work early tomorrow morning.  My daughter is in the shower, and my son just went to bed.  I'm waiting for my turn in the bathroom, to take care of my nightly ablutions.  It has been a good weekend, too short and too cold.

I am ready for a good night's sleep.

Saint Marty gives thanks this evening for the miracle of a new poem.

That Girl with Pearl Earring, after Vermeer

by:  Martin Achatz

That girl, with that piece of sea in her lobe, went out my front door just a few minutes ago with that boy she's been with these last three years.  And that girl was wearing that lapis lazuli headband, gave that boy that look, the one Vermeer captured in that painting.  That look, so unreadable, that could say, "Yes, I love you, and will let you touch me later," or, "You have no idea who I am, and you never will."  That boy will do anything for that look as he carries the fishing poles, tackle box out the door behind her, and that girl laughs that laugh and calls to him, says, "Don't forget that bug spray."  And that boy will look at that girl and, even though he has never heard of or seen that painting, he will understand it like no one else ever has.  He will imagine spraying her with the scent of evergreen from that can, to keep the mosquitoes from eating her alive.  To keep every last morsel of that girl's flesh for himself.


No comments:

Post a Comment