Wednesday, September 5, 2018

September 5: Quick Post, Busiest Day of the Week, Underwater Swim

Welcome to my mad-dash post after working for eight hours, in between teaching classes in mythology and composition.  I am trying to conserve my energy for my students.  By the time the clock hits 9 p.m., I will be officially brain dead.

I surprised myself this afternoon, however.  I walked into my mythology class with a skeleton of an idea for a lesson.  Yes, I'd written out details in my planner--journal entries for my students to write, topics to cover, a group exercise that seemed as dead as the goldfish my son won at the county fair.  But I had no idea how to string all these things together into a cohesive class.

Before I stepped into the classroom, I said this little prayer in my head:  "God, grant me a little wisdom to do and say the right things today."  Then I walked through the door and started talking.  And it all sort of came together.  I don't know how.  I found myself discussing creation and flood narratives, the collective unconscious, fluid sexuality, taboos.  I'm not sure if I held everyone's attention, but I felt fully engaged, which I didn't expect.

As most of the disciples of this blog know, I've been struggling recently with depression and anxiety.  It has muddied my thinking.  Today, in mythology, I felt like I had surfaced after a long underwater swim.  I was able to breathe and see light for a few moments.

Of course, I have another class to teach, and I may find myself simply treading water tonight in front of my students.  But for a few moments today, I actually felt totally myself, and I haven't experienced that in a few weeks.

Saint Marty is thankful tonight for inspiration.


No comments:

Post a Comment