Thursday, July 19, 2018

July 19: Ross Gay, "The Truth," Make It Happen

The Truth

by:  Ross Gay

Because he was 38, because this
was his second job, because
he had two daughters, because his hands
looked like my father's, because at 7
he would walk to the furniture warehouse,
unload trucks 'til 3 AM, because I
was fourteen and training him, because he made
$3.75 an hour, because he had a wife
to look in the face, because
he acted like he respected me,
because he was sick and would not call out
I didn't blink when the water
dropped from his nose
into the onion's perfectly circular
mouth on the Whopper Jr.
I coached him through preparing.
I did not blink.
Tell me this didn't happen.
I dare you.

_________________________

Seems like truth is on my mind a lot today.

I met with my financial planner this afternoon.  Walked into his office and said, "I want to retire in five years.  Make it happen."  He laughed at me.  Truth.

My daughter is on a trip to Missouri with her boyfriend and his family.  I miss her.  Truth.

Tonight, I'm going to read some poetry, tell some stories, eat some chocolate, drink some hard lemonade.  Truth.

When I go to bed tonight, I will kiss my wife goodnight and feel my heart open like a ghost orchid.  Truth.

Saint Marty is jealous of his son's new Bigfoot shirt.  Truth.


No comments:

Post a Comment