Wednesday, August 20, 2014

August 20: Enlarged His Perspective, Relativity, What's Important

To counter his anxiety, [E. B. White] looked for rhythms and unity everywhere.  Now and then he peered into the cosmic paradoxes of Einstein's theories.  He enjoyed the dizzying revelations of astronomy and found that they cleared his mind and enlarged his perspective on everyday life in a visceral rather than an abstract way...

It seems odd to imagine the young future author of Charlotte's Web walking the streets of New York City, contemplating Einstein's theories.  Yet, it also seems entirely appropriate, for Charlotte's Web really is an exercise in perspective.  Wilbur's dilemma seems huge throughout the entire book.  How is Charlotte going to save her friend's life?  Yet, at the end, when Wilbur's safety has been secured, Charlotte reveals that she is about to die.  Suddenly, the book changes.  It's no longer a book about animals fooling human beings.  It becomes a book about deep, abiding friendship and sacrifice.

Yes, enlarging your perspective is important.  A few nights ago, I was discussing my penchant for petty jealousy.  I have a friend who is an incredibly successful writer.  "Tina" has published books and has a full-time tenured job at a university.  She's won writing awards.  She's been reviewed in The New York Times Book Review.  Everyone knows she's amazing.  I love Tina.  And I hate her.

After several minutes of listening to me complain, my wife said, "Let me ask you something.  Would you trade our kids for what Tina has?"  Her point was pretty clear.  Tina has made sacrifices in her life.  Having children being one of them.  She has a wonderful spouse and has tried to start a family, but, sadly, her pregnancies have ended in miscarriages.

Perhaps Tina thinks about me at night sometimes,  Maybe she would trade all of her professional success for what I have:  two smart, beautiful kids.

You see, most human beings are never satisfied with what they have.  They do not see the bigger picture.  I think having a successful writing career and a university job would make me happy.  Tina would trade all of her books for the chance to be a parent.  It's all a matter of perspective.

My wife ended our conversation with this question:  "Did it ever occur to you that you are exactly where God wants you to be, doing what you are supposed to do?"

Saint Marty has to think about that one.

It's all a matter of pear-spective

No comments:

Post a Comment