Monday, August 14, 2023

August 14: "Porcupine," Long Day, "Moose"

Mary Oliver wants to see a . . . 

Porcupine

by:  Mary Oliver

Where                                      almost done
the porcupine is                       to himself
I don't                                      For years I have wanted to see
know but I hope                      that slow rambler,

it's high                                   that thornbush.
up on some pine                      I think what love does to us
bough in some                        is a Gordian knot,
thick tree, maybe                    it's that complicated.

on the other side                     I hug the dogs
of the swamp.                         and their good luck,
The dogs have come              and put on their leashes.
running back, one of them     So dazzling she must be--

with a single quill                   a plump, dark lady
in his moist nose.                   wearing a gown of nails--
He's laughing,                        white teeth tearing skin
not knowing what he has       from the thick tree.



Mary Oliver has never seen a porcupine.  She's just imagines what an encounter with one would be like, and she envies her dogs for getting up close and personal with that dark, plump lady with a gown of nails.

I don't have a lot of energy tonight.  It has been a long day.  I've been trying to finish grading for my summer class, and I have quite a bit left to do tonight.

But I did write a poem today in response to Oliver's poem.

Saint Marty has always wanted to see a . . .

Moose

by:  Martin Achatz

They are all around, like pine
needles or bracken or field
mice, but I have never
seen one with its building
of body, crown of branches.
They hide-and-seek with me,
staying deep in the forest
where the green heart of the world
beats.  I've heard they walk
along lake bottoms, submerged,
holding the oxygen in their
lungs like buried treasure.  That
is what I want.  To see one
climbing from the surf
of Lake Superior, shaking off
water in great sheets,
gulping the fresh air.  Like something
newborn, fresh from the womb
of God.


Not a picture of a moose, but she's still pretty cute . . .



No comments:

Post a Comment