Thursday, May 19, 2022

May 19: Almost Blind, Lon, Great Light

Santiago muses on old eyes and blindness . . . 

"He does not like to work too far out."

"No," the boy said. "But I will see something that he cannot see such as a bird working and get him to come out after dolphin."

"Are his eyes that bad?"

"He is almost blind."

There is blindness because of damaged or aging eyes.  Then there is blindness by choice--where a person refuses to see things that contradict his/her version of reality.

The saga of my son's situation continued today by phone with the school superintendent.  It was a circular conversation in which I felt a little patronized.  It became very evident that the man has already accepted a certain version of what happened with my son on Tuesday.  And it feels as if the superintendent, who admitted that he has never even spoken to my son, has made his final judgement about him, based on the word of some kids who've made his life miserable for over five months, if not longer.

But I don't want this post to focus on a person who doesn't know my son.  I want to write about a man who knew my children and cared about them.  His name was Lon, and he looked after the people in his life.  He loved nature.  Had a laugh that could melt a glacier.  I met him over 25 years ago, and he adopted my daughter as an honorary granddaughter.  When she started dating, he volunteered to sit on my front porch, cleaning a gun, when boys came calling.  And Lon loved my son--his independent spirit and sense of humor.  

Lon had great disdain for fools in positions of power.  Detested injustice and cruelty.  Tried to make the world a better place every day of his life.  Through jokes.  Blueberry muffins and cheesecake.  And hugs.

Lon passed away today.  And the world, which already seemed a little dark to me, got even darker.  I will miss how he would often call me at work to tell me jokes and check up on my wife and kids.  He struggled quite a bit the last few years of his life, so this news is not surprising.  But it's difficult when a great light in the world winks out.  I loved the man deeply, and wish his wife and daughters all kinds of comfort and peace.

Saint Marty wishes there were more Lons in the world and less bullies.



1 comment:

  1. So sorry for your and your family’s loss. You are all in my prayers.

    ReplyDelete