Saturday, February 12, 2022

February 12: With a Friend, Endure Rather Than Enjoy, Leftover Pizza

Santiago talks about his friend, the fish . . . 

It encouraged him to talk because his back had stiffened in the night and it hurt truly now.

"Stay at my house if you like, bird," he said. "I am sorry I cannot hoist the sail and take you in with the small breeze that is rising. But I am with a friend."

Santiago seems to be friends with everything.  His boat.  The sea.  The little bird.  Even the fish at the end of his line.

I have to say that seeing the universe, and everything in it, as a friend instead of some hostile enemy is a pretty good way to remain happy.  I think too many people (myself included, at times) think of life as something to endure rather than enjoy.  I know that, every once in a while, I need a reminder that life is pretty darn good.

Tonight, some good friends came over to my house to play board games with my family.  We ate pizza, talked smack to each other, and had a great time.  It didn't really matter who won.  (For the record, it wasn't me.)  It was just a much needed moment of disconnection from the struggles of the last few weeks.  

I'm exhausted, but content.  Plus, there's leftover pizza in my fridge.

Saint Marty feels pretty blessed at the moment.



No comments:

Post a Comment