Wednesday, October 30, 2019

October 30: Smiled More Warmly, Wife's Birthday, Peace and Love

"Hi, honey," [Zaphod] said to her.

[Trillian] flashed him a quick tight smile and looked away.  Then she looked back for a moment and smiled more warmly--but by this time her was looking at something else.

This little exchange takes place just minutes before Zaphod and his girlfriend, Trillian, steal the Heart of Gold spaceship, with its Improbability Drive.  Having spent this year living with Hitchhiker's and these characters, I can pretty confidently say that their relationship is a little complex.  Not the standard Earth girl meets alien at a party in England, alien sweeps girl off her Earthling feet, girl escapes Earth with alien who turns out to be the President of the Imperial Galactic Government story.  Most true love isn't simple.

Today is my wife's birthday.  I could say many things about our love and life together, but I cannot say that it has been simple.  In the almost 30 years that we have been together, we have experienced tremendous joys and tremendous sorrows.  Tremendous ups an tremendous downs.  I have been pretty honest about our marriage in the eight or so years that I've been writing this blog.  Tonight will be no different.  I will be honest.

Through all the good times and hard times my wife and I have experienced, my love for her has never wavered.  We were separated for a year, and my love never wavered.  Through mental illness and addiction, my love has stayed the same.  When I see her at the end of a long day of work, my heart still skips a beat, the way it did when I first laid eyes on her close to 30 years ago.

I am still made about my wife, on this birthday night, the thirtieth one I have shared with her.  Beth, you are complicated, frustrating, beautiful, funny, stressful, sexy, heart-ful, hurtful, exciting, lost, and found.

Saint Marty wishes for his wife a soul filled with peace and love.


No comments:

Post a Comment