Friday, August 10, 2018

August 10: Judith Slater, "Family Vacation," Getting Away

Family Vacation

by:  Judith Slater

Four weeks in, quarreling and far 
from home, we came to the loneliest place. 
A western railroad town. Remember? 
I left you at the campsite with greasy pans 
and told our children not to follow me. 
The dying light had made me desperate. 
I broke into a hobbled run, across tracks, 
past warehouses with sun-blanked windows 
to where a playground shone in a wooded clearing. 
Then I was swinging, out over treetops. 
I saw myself never going back, yet 
whatever breathed in the mute woods 
was not another life. The sun sank. 
I let the swing die, my toes scuffed earth, 
and I was rocked into remembrance 
of the girl who had dreamed the life I had. 
Through night, dark at the root, I returned to it.

_____________________________

A poem for today about family vacations.  I don't get many opportunities to get totally away from my life like this.  It takes a great deal of planning.  I have two jobs (three if you count playing the pipe organ on weekends).  So, I have to make sure to cover my work in three different places.  Not an easy task.

I do love being with my wife and kids, away from all my normal distractions.  As I said before, it doesn't happen very often.

Saint Marty is going to sit on his balcony for a little while.  Read a good book.


No comments:

Post a Comment