Friday, August 4, 2017

August 4: Choices to Make, Keith Taylor, "Hitchhiking and Immortality"

So, I didn't post yesterday because I was traveling, and then I had a poetry workshop last night.  I got home around five o'clock, unpacked, ate a quick dinner, and then headed out the door again.  Didn't get back home until after 10 p.m.  I was T-I-R-E-D.

This evening, I plan to relax.  Maybe go have a drink with my wife.  A last vacation hurrah, so to speak, even though my vacation ended yesterday.  I have a busy weekend ahead.  Church services and a couple writing projects.  I may mow my lawn, if the weather cooperates.

I find myself being protective of my time right now.  I have obligations in the coming weeks.  Poetry readings and workshops and open mics.  I also have to work on my course materials for the fall semester some time in the middle of all that.  I find myself panicking a little bit right now.  Trying not to hyperventilate.

I have choices to make--what I'm going to do and not going to do.  I'm just not going to be able to do everything as the summer draws to a close.  Of course, I feel kind of silly complaining about my problems when I have two friends who have lost their brothers.  My problems really pale in comparison.

Saint Marty needs to keep everything in perspective these new few weeks.

Hitchhiking and Immortality

by:  Keith Taylor

I was not paying much attention
in those days but still recognized it
immediately:  nightingale song--
full-throated and resonant drifting
out of the woods beside a highway
somewhere in central France, where no cars
slowed in scintillating light
and where I thought I might never die.


No comments:

Post a Comment