Tuesday, November 10, 2015

November 10: Heavy Rains and Hail, Warm Weather, D. H. Melhem, "Last Day," Off the Top of My Head

Nodding, Paul rapped Ives on the shoulder and for a moment, as they stood near the wall overlooking the river, something benevolent and fleeting passed between them but neither said a word.  Then, as they started homeward, the sky began to darken; over the river, low to the horizon, a bank of bottom-heavy clouds, shaped like a man on his back.  Later, within the hour, there would be a storm and heavy rains and hail would begin to fall.

A chance meeting between Ives and Paul, a young man who will eventually marry Ives' daughter.  But I didn't pick this passage for the interaction between Paul and Ives.  I picked this passage because of the description of weather.  The dark clouds.  Rain and hail.

It is late, and I am quite tired.  So tired, in fact, that my head is aching and I'm having trouble focusing on the computer screen.  I have been awake since 4 a.m..  It is now pushing 11 p.m.  That's close to 15 hours of work and school and whatnot.  (See, I'm so tired that I can't even remember everything I've done today.)

I am thankful for the weather today.  It was warm and sunny.  A change is coming tomorrow--rain and cold and, later in the day, snow.  I am not thrilled by that last prediction.  I was kind of hoping for a dry November.  Doesn't look like that's going to happen.

Today, however, I am thankful for warm weather.  That's about all I got tonight. 

In a few minutes, Saint Marty is going to be thankful for his bed and pillows and blankets.

How about a poem about weather...

Last Day

by:  D. H. Melhem

Behind our cabin
cloud lay on the mountain
like a gray loaf
that thunder waits
to cut.

Off the Top of My Head


No comments:

Post a Comment