Monday, August 31, 2015

August 31: Linda Gregg, "Finding the Way," "Ives" Dip Monday, Adventures of Stickman

Linda Gregg is the Poet of the Week.  I thought I had already featured her, but, looking back through old posts, I did not find her name.

The first poem I'd like to feature combines two of my favorite things:  spirituality and humor.  Yes, it's a little irreverent.  Yes, some people might think it's slightly sacrilegious.  That's OK.  I'm irreverent and sacrilegious, too, at times:

Finding the Way

by:  Linda Gregg

Today I went to the village church
where bells rang steadily
for a special ceremony.
Outside were baskets full of bread
as the body of Christ.  I discovered
the Greeks believe God's body has
the flavor of sesame and cumin.

There's something about this poem that makes me really happy.  I don't know why.  I think it has something to do with the very human observation in the closing line.  God tastes like sesame and cumin.  I wish I had written this poem.

I dropped my daughter off at the high school tonight for band camp.  Next week, she starts her first week as a freshman.  She's been complaining and crying and whining about this camp for almost a full week.  In short, she's been driving us crazy.  Now I understand why.

When I pulled up in front of the school and put the car in park, I looked over at her.  She didn't move, and I realized that she was terrified.  She didn't want to get out, and she didn't know what to do.  I tried to say something encouraging.  I think it was about seeing old friends and making new ones.  It didn't help.  She looked like she was ready to throw up.

I offered to walk her to the band room.  She didn't want me to.  So, she got out of the car and slowly walked across the parking lot.  I watched as she literally hid behind a truck.  Then she started walking again.  I watched her until she disappeared inside the school.

As I was driving home, I said a little prayer for her.  I want her to be happy and confident.  I want her to find people who like her.  I want her to know what I know:  that she's amazing.

It is Ives dip Monday.  I have a lot on my mind tonight.  But foremost in my thoughts is my daughter.  So, my question this evening is:

Is my daughter having a good time at band camp?

And the answer:

My finger keeps landing on the blank pages in between sections of the novel.

I guess that means that it's all going to be new.  New people.  New experiences.  Hopefully new friends and new happiness.

At least, that's what Saint Marty hopes for his beautiful daughter.

Adventures of STICKMAN


No comments:

Post a Comment