Wednesday, June 23, 2010

June 23: Saint Ethelreda


My freshman yearbook photo

So, my pastor friend and his family left town a couple days ago. After a weekend of lasts (last time at book club; last time at McDonald's having breakfast together on Saturday with the kids; last worship service on Sunday), I stopped by his house for the last time on Monday, June 21, to say goodbye and help him and his wife load up some last boxes.

I went to his house immediately following a doctor's appointment. It was a six-month checkup, so I was expecting the whole song-and-dance: bend-over-and-spread-'em, turn-your-head-and-cough, open-wide-stick-out-your-tongue-and-say-"ah." It wasn't quite that invasive, for which I was thankful. However, the thing I really dread, even more than the digital rectal exam, is stepping on the scale and receiving the bad/good news about my weight.

I have fought the battle of the bulges my whole life. In high school, I went from being a pudgy, freshman outcast to a thin, cross country runner. In the years since high school, I have fluctuated from being normal to fat many times. You pick the term, I've been labeled it: husky, burly, big-boned, tubby, plump, obese, grossly obese, fat-assed, double-chinned, double-wide, etc. Whether these words were an accurate description of my physical condition is beside the point. No matter what the scale says, I always feel fat.

Stepping on the scale at the doctor's office, then, is my least favorite part of the visit. The fact that the scale is in the middle of the public hallway is even worse. Anyone can see you standing there, receiving the judgement. At least if the scale were in a private exam room, I could remove my shoes, socks, shirt, pants, insulin pump, and watch. Like at home. If I took a healthy crap before the appointment, I stand the chance of, at the very least, maintaining my weight from my last visit.

The fact that my doctor revels in telling me that I could stand to lose a few pounds doesn't make the situation any better. I sit in the exam room, half-naked, feeling more exposed than Ron Jeremy at work, and wait for my doctor to look up from his laptop with an expression usually reserved for the bearded fat lady at the State Fair. It's inevitable. As a life-long skinny person, my doctor doesn't have a lot of sensitivity to weight issues, aside from knowing it's unhealthy.

On Monday, when my doctor said, "Well, everything looks good. The only thing is your weight," I said, "I know. I don't understand it. I've been dieting all day long."

He looked at me. I looked at him. We stared at each other for a full twenty seconds before I said, "It was a joke."

He went back to typing on his laptop, and I went back to feeling like a Buddha statue at a Thai restaurant. Rub my belly for luck, I thought.

Needless to say, I wasn't in the greatest mood when I showed up at my pastor friend's house. I don't do well with partings to begin with; throw on top of that my encounter with Dr. Skinny-ass, and you have a pretty good idea of my frame of mind.

I helped my friend and his wife finish packing for about half an hour, long enough to walk through the empty parsonage and let the permanence of the change sink in fully. Generally, I try not to wallow in self-pity, but I was pretty much up to my eyes in it by the time I hugged them goodbye and drove away.
Ethelreda, today's saint, is one of those holy people who seem attracted to pain. The book actually says, "Sufferings were her delight. She thanked God when, in her last sickness, she had much to suffer." I understand, to a degree, accepting suffering with grace and dignity. I even understand thinking of suffering as a way a distilling your character, burning off the petty angers, jealousies, and hurts, to make yourself a stronger, spiritually deeper person. I understand that. I do. However, I don't get the concept of being delighted with suffering (unless it involves a Republican). I've been through some difficult times in my life, and I don't think I would ever volunteer to do it all over again. Am I a stronger, better person because of the trials I've experienced? Yes. Do I delight in feeling like a pile of elephant dung? No.

Now, a few days past my doctor's appointment and my friend's departure, I can honestly say I don't think I'm a better person. In fact, I don't like people too much at the moment, friends or relatives. It'll get better. It always does.
But for the time being, I feel like a fat, little high school freshman, dodging the balls God's hurling at me.

4 comments:

  1. hey honey--i know exactly how you feel. i too have been called everything from wide load to fat ass and it's not been fun. looking forward to the surgery to help me lose the weight.

    ReplyDelete
  2. "Accepting suffering with grace and dignity".
    PLEASE!!!!!!!
    I am to stubborn and to pissed off to accept anything gracefully. I feel sometimes as if I have had too many things thrown at me. I would never volunteer to go through all that I have been through. I accept the fact that I made the decisions that put me in the path of suffering; however, due to all that I have been through, I am very hard on people now and find it difficult to trust most people even those I have known for years. I do not like being this way, but find it difficult not to be guarded. I do not accept suffering. I will not. I will deal with it and move forward, but will never accept that I am dealt more than my fair share of hell.

    I have a friend that is always telling me that I should be thankful for all that I go through. She tells me she has never known a stronger person who can handle any situation. She tells me I can take care of myself and my family, and that I am a good person. She tells me that God must trust me a lot with all he gives me to handle on a daily bases. I told her it was time he gave some shit to someone else.

    I have always been on rocky terms with God. I can only recall a few times in my life that he got what I requested correct. He has a warped sense of humor and I feel that I am the pun of all jokes some days. And despite all I just said, I know that he is what makes me stronger. He might not always listen, but to make myself feel better, I like to think I am not asking the right questions. When I finally get to the point that I just don’t think I can go on, I cannot find any solution, and everything is just getting worse, I find myself saying, “you win, and I accept what is happening, there is nothing more that I can do and I will simply just deal with the fact that this hell is my life for whatever reason”, and just like that the answer appears. Perhaps, that is what makes us closer to Him. Perhaps, that is what accepting of suffering is, letting God lead me down the path I am suppose to go on no matter how shitty of a path it might be. I cannot say that this makes me happy. I will never stop fighting. It is not in my nature to just accept what is in front of me until I have extinguished all possibilities of the situation, even spiting God must be in there before I will succumb to the inevitable. Acceptance the hard way!

    Sorry for the rant. You are not fat, I like you fluffy! I remember when you were heavier and look at how much you have lost and all you have accomplished since then.
    All my love

    ReplyDelete
  3. Um, excuse me, but the image you are using for this post is mine and copyrighted. If you wish to continue to use this image please link it back to the original product, or remove it. The original link is here: http://www.zazzle.com/buddha_belly_t_shirt-235630010148918352?rf=238238941494368899

    Thanks
    Scott

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sorry about that, Scott. The image has been removed, but for those readers who want to see a really funny image/product, do go to the link above to view it. It's hilarious.

    Thanks,

    Saint Marty

    ReplyDelete